Portal is one of three year-round, 24-hour ports of entry into the U.S. in North Dakota. It is among the busiest ports of entry for rail and vehiclular traffic in the midwest. Wait times for inspection by Customs and Border Protection (CBP) are generally less than 10 minutes. At times heavy traffic can increase wait times. The Portal Port of Entry can be contacted at 701 926-7500.


For entry at Portal all United States citizens need a valid U.S. Passport, U.S. Passport Card or Trusted Traveler Card. www.cbp.gov/travel Lawful Permanent Residents (green card holders) are not required to present a passport, however, they must present a Form I-551 (green card). There are several other types of documentation that will allow entry. See the above web site for more information.

Non-Immigrants require a non-immigrant visa (NIV) to enter the United States unless exempt under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP). Information regarding this program and the requirements and issuance of NIVs, can be found on the U.S. Department of State website at http://travel.state.gov.


Certain items are restricted or prohibited from entry into the United States. The following informaton is not complete. If you have any questions about what is permissible to bring to the United States detailed information can be found on the websites below.

There are no restrictions for automobiles brought into the United States for less than one year.

Illegal drugs including marijuana and drug paraphenalia, unless prescribed for medical conditions, are prohibited.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) regulates importation of firearms and ammunition. With few exceptions U.S. visitors are required to obtain an import permit (ATF Form 6) to temporarily import firearms and ammunition. To request a permit call ATF at 304 616-4550 or obtain more information at https://help.cbp.gov/

Many processed food products are admissible into the U.S. Many fresh fruits and vegetables are not allowed. U.S. Department of Agriculture also controls the entry of meats, livestock and poultry. Go to www.aphis.usda.gov for complete information.

Currency in the amount of $10,000 or more must be declared upon entry.

Dogs require a current rabies certificate. For more information on the importation of dogs and other pets and animals go to www.aphis.usda.gov.

For importation of game and trophies check with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service at http://www.fws.gov/permits.

Products from Cuba including cigars are prohibited from entry into the U.S.

Upon entering the U.S., a traveller is allowed one liter of wine or alcohol or 24/12 oz. bottles of beer. Any excess is subject to duty at the applicable rate.

Some criminal convictions may keep non U.S. citizens from entering the U.S. Crimes involving moral turpitude such as theft, aggravated assault, robbery, sexual assault, etc. will prevent your entry. Convictions for possession of controlled substances will also prevent you from entry.